If Stopped in the Street by Police
IF STOPPED IN THE STREET BY POLICE...REMAIN CALM
DO NOT reach into your pockets.
ASK why you are being stopped.
You can be stopped if:
1. You are running and a crime has just been reported in the area.
2. You are hanging around with some people who are under police investigation for one thing or another.
3. You are near an area where a crime has just been reported.
4. You are somewhere where an officer thinks people have no reason to be at that time of day or night.
5. You are acting in a way that appears to the officer to be very suspicious, and you act even more suspicious when the officer sees you have spotted her/him.
6. An officer thinks that you have stolen property in your possession.
7. An officer stops you walking and you refuse to answer simple questions, give false or evasive answers or make contradicting statements.
8. Someone has pointed you out to an officer.
9. You begin to bad-mouth an officer.
DO NOT BECOME LOUD.
KEEP SOME LEGITIMATE FORM OF IDENTIFICATION ON YOU AT ALL TIMES.
REMAIN SILENT. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF SILENCE, USE IT.
YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE RIGHT FOR LEGAL REPRESENTATION - NEVER SPEAK WITHOUT A WITNESS BEING PRESENT.
Remember: Depending upon the circumstances, the officer may think he/she has probable cause to stop you or he/she will use any excuse to harass you.